Thursday, May 22, 2008

Who pulled the Fire(fox) alarm?

Well, Firefox 3 RC1 was announced this week and people were excited and talking everywhere I surfed. After a couple of days of this, I decided that I had to see for myself.
Since F3 isn't officially available yet in the Ubuntu repositories, I found instructions on adding it to ubuntu here.
I've been using the beta version of Firefox 3 and now that I have the Release Candidate version, I'm glad that I've upgraded as I love using Firefox 3 compared to version 2.
The only thing that I am disappointed with is the lack of addons at the moment, which is understandable, as it's just been released. Some of my most favourite addons are missing for now.
I do have Foxmarks and Scribefire installed as well as Stumbleupon and Customize Google.
However there are other features within the new browser that you are going to enjoy. Firefox loads a lot faster than previous versions (and uses less memory too, from some early benchmarks that have been run), which is something that I'm glad to see, as I've found Firefox 2 had been getting bogged down in terms of speed.

So if you're willing to risk a few inherent bugs that may creep in while you run this preview release browser, head over to Mozilla and download the RC1 today to download the source file or follow the instructions in the link above.

No comments: