Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Stink of Sync

If you're planning to use Ubuntu and you carry around a Windows Mobile
device, then give up all hope of ever syncing the two together.

Save yourself time and aggravation and don't even think of attempting
to make it work. There are multiple sites that will explain the steps
required and I think I've visited my fair share of them today.

I've installed all the needed files and followed all the necessary
steps as well as spent a lot of time in trying to teach Ubuntu to dance
with my Dell Axim X51V. I've come to the sad conclusion that it's just
not going to happen.

The closest that I came was when I ran synce-pls right at the start and
my Axim files showed up on the screen. Wow, I thought, that was easy.
Now let's try and sync.

I was following the steps on the Synce Wiki page which are very thorough, but that still didn't help me.
I've included a few screencaps of my troubles, so if you have any suggestions on how to proceed, feel free to leave me a comment or two.
For now, I'll have to fire up my wifes laptop if I need to sync my PDA with Windows.

No comments: