Friday, May 30, 2008

Once more, with feeling

Lately as I got more and more familiar with Ubuntu, I've started tweaking settings and installing programs that were not ready for prime time. Getting to know Ubuntu and what makes it tick is a lot of fun.
Needless to say, as I fiddled with Ubuntu, it started complaining about all the various things that I was doing and soon, things were not running as smoothly as in the beginning.
I decided to reinstall Ubuntu. I found a site that features a unique and enhanced edition of Ubuntu called the Ultimate Edition. I downloaded the DVD iso so that I could install it and try it out to compare it to the vanilla flavoured default Ubuntu DVD I received from Shipit.
In most respects, the installation is similar to a regular ubuntu installation, with some different graphics during installation. The install added a lot of programs that don't come in a default install of ubuntu.
I finished installing and tried it out for about an hour, but I couldn't get my ATI card to work as easily as with the reguar ubuntu install. More about that in another post.
I pulled out my Ubuntu DVD and did another install right after that.
The great thing about Ubuntu compared to Windows is how fast the install process takes. I had my new system up and running in 20 minutes.
I now have a fresh install of Ubuntu and things are right with the world again.
Hopefully, my future tweaking doesn't screw it up again. I like to think of it as a great learning experience.

No comments: