Sunday, May 18, 2008

First Things First

When I installed Ubuntu today, I made the choice to use the entire hard drive rather than set up multiple partitions. It's just a personal choice and I have to option to change it if I like sometime down the road. I read about setting up the /home directory on a separate partition, and I'll look into how that is done sometime soon as I like the idea that your /home will be retained should you screw something up and need to reinstall Ubuntu. At least your personal files/data will not be lost that way.

I timed my installation today and it took all of 18 minutes to install Ubuntu to my hard drive. That includes having the Ubuntu DVD reformat my hard drive and the complete installation.

Now that the system is loaded, I've done some minor customization pertainant to my system and needs.

The first thing I did was to activate the auto login screen. On the various linux forums I've seen, this step seems to not be incouraged, but as I'm the only one accessing my PC, I like to be able to hit the power button and return to find the system ready and waiting for me. To access this, I opened the Login Window found under System>Administration>Login Window. After entering my passwork, I choose the Security Tab and clicked on Enable Automatic Login.
Before I exited the Login Windows Preferences, I made a few more changes to my system settings.

Under the 'General' Tab, I chose to use a 12 hour clock rather than the default 24 hour option. "Just say No" to 24 hours, kids.

Last thing was to change the startup themeand background colour found under the 'Local' Tab.
There were some software updates waiting for me to install so I did that next by clicking on the icon in the toolbar, top right corner. Let them all install and then reboot when/if prompted.

No comments: