Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Karmic Dilemma

I've tried using Karmic Koala Alpha 5 for the last couple of days on my laptop, but the suspend/hibernate bug was really hindering my appreciation of it.
Having to reboot my laptop every time I closed the laptop lid when I stepped away for a while is not the way I want to run my system.
I've since removed it from my system in frustration, and I'll just wait until Karmic goes into beta testing on October 1st.
I'm not willing to test Alpha 5 on my desktop computer as I can't risk losing any files on the hard drive. I wish that I had a spare hard drive to trial it there as I'm sure that it would run properly on the desktop pc as the graphics card is brand new and up to date.
Now that I've decided to remove Karmic from my laptop, I've decided to use it as a testing machine for other flavours of linux. I've just installed opensuse 11.1 on it and except for the minor glitch with my wifi setup, which I expected, opensuse is running extremely well on my laptop.
I have compiz running smoothly with all graphic effects enabled. Similar to earlier versions of Ubuntu. I suspect opensuse is not using the most up to date kernel or graphics drivers or I'd be experiencing problems with it as well.
I'll try it out for a few days and then move on to other distros. I've already burned a couple of live CDs of other distros to test drive. This will only be temporary while I await the beta release.

No comments: