Sunday, September 6, 2009

ATI support has left the building

Since installing Ubuntu Karmic Koala Alpha 5, I've discovered that being on the bleeding edge of testing software comes at a cost.
My main concern revolves around a suspend/hibernate bug that I have submitted. Whenever I close the lid of my laptop and place the system in suspend mode, it blanks the screen and freezes the system when I resume work, forcing a reboot.
In doing research about this bug I discovered something that may be related to this issue, and
it seems that older model ATI card owners will be out of luck. AMD will no longer be providing support. This means that the fglrx driver will not support kernel 2.6.30 or newer. Karmic is currently running 2.6.31.9-generic.
Catalyst 9,8 is said to have support for the 2.6.30 kernel and I have read that there are patches available.
Using older Catalyst versions won't work either as they won't work with the Karmic Xorg.
Using the open source ATI drivers allows the system graphics to work with multiple monitor support, however this also means not being able to take advantage of OpenGL or direct 3D.
It is rumoured that Ubuntu will release up to date ATI drivers come final release date.
But for now, if you have a newer ATI card or better yet, no ATI card, then you may have better luck using the latest release of Ubuntu Karmic.

No comments: