Saturday, June 14, 2008

Ubuntu gives birth at home

After having initial success with my desktop Ubuntu installation, I convinced my daughter to let me install Ubuntu on her laptop and set it up as a dual boot system. It was easy to do as her laptop was running Windows and was constantly having problems to which she would come to me for help.
The installation went well except for the major hurdle I had with trying to get the Wifi working on her Compaq Presario V2000. I'll explain what I did to get it working in another post.
All updates/upgrades are now installed and she is currently exploring the new environment. I told her to try everything so that she can see which software applications she prefers. I installed three IM clients, AMSN, Emesene, and Pidgin. There are also several music players for her to choose from. I'm trying to decide if I like Amarok, Rhythmbox or the new Banshee vr1.0, so I told her to try them all for herself to see which one she likes.
Today I enabled Network printing with a bit of help from the Ubuntu community help documentation. Very easy to get up and running with 2 Ubuntu machines. For some reason, I couldn't get it working with a remote Windows machine, but I didn't spend much time working on it at the time.
I'm pleased that we have two linux computers now in the home, and now I'm trying to convince my wife to allow me to install Ubuntu on her computer, but she'll need a bit more convincing that having another baby is a good idea.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments: