Thursday, June 5, 2008

Installing the latest Nexuiz

I downloaded Nexuiz 2.42 today, version 2.41 can be found in the Ubuntu repositories, but I wanted the latest version.
Installing it required some steps that I wasn't familiar with as there isn't a 2.42 deb file, but I found a site with a step by step guide on installation here.
I'll document the steps here as well in case that site goes down and I need to refer to them again.

Download both the game and the Map Pack first.
Create a /.Games in your home directory and unzip the game files there. I used Nautilus to accomplish this but the link above shows terminal commands.

mkdir ~/.Games
cd ~/Desktop
unzip nexuiz-242.zip -d ~/.Games
unzip nexmappack_r2.zip -d ~/.Games/Nexuiz


Download the nexuiz.png icon. Run the following commands.
Nexiuz icon found here

cd ~/Desktop
mv nexuiz.png ~/.Games/Nexuiz
alacarte


alacarte will open the Main Menu found under System>Preferences>Main Menu
Create a New Item in Main menu and name it Nexuiz
The command should read as follows:
/home/your own USERNAME here/.Games/Nexuiz/nexuiz-linux-glx.sh

You can now find the game under Applications>Games

If you see me in the game, go easy on me!


Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: