Friday, August 6, 2010

Firefox addons added after install

Having completed my fresh install, I now like to start customizing the look and feel of Ubuntu.
Firefox offers a whole host of addons and themes that you can use enhance your online experience. There are several that I always install after a new installation. (I have posted addons in the past, but here is an updated post.)

Xmarks is the first one that I install. I have used this addon of for quite some time now, starting when it was called Foxmarks. It allows me to keep a backup of my bookmarks that I can access from any system either via the xmarks addon or the online database. It also allows you to store passwords as well if you wish.

I've recently discovered an addon for storing passwords called LastPass. I heard about it while listening to Security Now with Steve Gibson. He raved about it so much that I had to try it for myself. It works well and I no longer have to dig through my old notebook searching for the odd password any longer.

Autofill Forms does exactly what the name says. It allows you to complete online entry forms without typing in all your info each time. This is a great addon for those who like to enter contests. Can't say that it helps you win more often though.

Stumbleupon is one addon that I couldn't live without. It's more like an addiction than an addon. You'll have to try it and see for yourself.

Downloadhelper allows you to download and store online media content locally. Handy for media of all kinds.

Download Statusbar is simply a monitor bar for your downloads. I'm surprised that this isn't built in to Firefox by default.

Colorfultabs is eye candy that changes each of your open tabs to a different color.

Personas is a new addon that allows you to personalize your browser with skins.

I use several others such as Cooliris, Firefoxsync, No Squint, Optimize Google, and FEBE.

These are my addons that I use for now, but I'm always on the lookout for new and useful addons. If you know of any more, leave me a note.

No comments: