Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Alpha testing: Ubuntu Intrepid

This past Monday was Ubuntu Testing Day, and Ubuntu users were asked to download and test any one of the flavours of Intrepid that is currently in Alpha 6 testing.
I finally decided to try the amd64 version of Ubuntu on my laptop, which I have been meaning to try since I purchased it (Compaq Presario V2310).
I downloaded and burned the iso and proceeded to install the Ubuntu Intrepid alpha 6 image to my laptop. I have participated in many, many beta testing versions of various softwares over the years, but this is the first time that I have installed an alpha test version for testing purposes.
I decided that since this was an alpha test, I would completely erase my laptop hard drive and devote the entire machine to the testing process in case any serious problems wiped out my data.
I registered with the testing site and installed the Ubuntu DVD amd64 version of Intrepid.
I noted that there were many bugs listed for the various versions of Ubuntu, but I found that my install went flawlessly and I was up in running in no time after my hard drive was formated and partitioned.
The only glitch I encountered was entirely expected on my Compaq Presario V2310.
This laptop has wifi issues that I've found can only be rectified by applying the Fiesty No Fluff broadcom fix. Not a serious problem and not what I'd call a bug, but it would have been nice to have the software work right 'out of the box'.
I've been trying this version out the last few days and have not encountered any significant issues to report. I'm now planning on trying out one of the other alpha versions of Intrepid. I notice that the both desktop versions of the alpha have multiple bugs reported, so I think I'd like to try help iron out some bugs with those installations.
The beta version will be released on October 2nd, the RC on October 23 and the final release will be on October 30th.
Those that want to try out the next final version of Intrepid don't have long to wait, otherwise jump in now and try out the alpha. Just don't forget to backup your important data first.

No comments: